The Empowerment Center provides a range of individual and group peer services designed to engage individuals in recovery.The Center’s services assist individuals expand their capacity to manage their own health, wellness and recovery.The Empowerment Center focuses on delivering services that meet the needs of individuals in terms of three social determinants of behavioral health – economic stability, social inclusion and health promotion.The Center is staffed by Peers who synthesize their own lived experiences of recovery and evidenced-based supports to assist each Center member to develop a vision of their own recovery.The Center engages members and teaches them how to use the many supports available at the Center and in their community to aid in their recovery efforts.
The following are but a few of the services being offered at the Center. These services are aimed at addressing barriers to recovery goals and enhancing personal empowerment:
- Training in personal advocacy
- Assistance navigating healthcare, benefits and entitlements systems
- Developing community-based recovery networks, social support networks and natural support systems.
- Overcoming barriers and anti-stigma initiatives
- Technology instruction
- Specialized instruction in English as a second language (ESL),
- Exploration of education and employment opportunities
- Leisure-time activities and socialization
- Steplink – a support group for persons in dual recovery.This group is modeled after the 12-step program to provide mutual encouragement in recovery efforts.
- Social networking
- Peer Specialist mentoring
- Wellness and Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) development
- Financial literacy workshops and individual counseling to enable an understanding of financial matters and to build skills in the management of one’s personal finances.
Criteria for Admission
Prospective members must be living with a psychiatric condition.Applicants must show a willingness to work on personal growth and engage in mutual support.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 11 A.M. – 7 P.M.
Wednesday: 10 A.M. – 5 P.M.
Saturday: 3 P.M. – 7 P.M.
For more information on admission requirements, please contact the Program Director.