Residential Services Cook
Transitional Services for New York, Inc., not-for profit, is a comprehensive, community-based mental health organization located in New York City. We provide a continuum of rehabilitative services to enrich the lives of those recovering from mental illness and facilitate their transition to increased levels of independence. Transitional Services for New York, Inc. envisions broadening its rehabilitative services and becoming a regional social service provider. Transitional Services for New York Staff will deliver effective programs with compassion, integrity, and professionalism. We expect all staff to put our clients’ needs first while respecting ourselves and each other as we provide hope to those who participate in our programs.
Cook Counselor – $22 Per Hour
Applicants must have Clean Driving Record.
Responsible for preparing and/or directing the preparation of food to be served, complying with all applicable sanitation, health and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures. Responsible for appropriate use of facility supplies and equipment to minimize loss and waste.
- Follow daily schedule as posted or assigned.
- Report any pertinent information regarding residents and facility to supervisor throughout your shift.
- Check to see that all appliances are working properly.
- See what meals have been planned for the day.
- Prepare, cook and serve all meals during shift.
- Check inventory.
- Check with shift supervisor for any meals to be held for residents or off-site meals.
- Clean all appliances after using.
- Dispose of garbage.
- Make sure dirty dishes and utensils are pre-washed and washed in dishwasher.
- Store supplies, dishes and utensils away after use.
- Follow all guidelines in accordance with New York State Department of Health Codes.
- Store foods properly.
- Thoroughly inspect kitchen and dining room for safety measures and sanitary conditions and report any damages or problems to Administration.
- Be able to sit or stand as needed, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May require walking, primarily on a level surface, for short periods throughout the day, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Be able to reach above shoulder heights, below the waist or lift as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday, with or without reasonable accommodation. Driver’s license required.
- During a declared disaster, assume and adhere to assigned Job Action role(s) consistent with Disaster Preparedness Plan.
- Perform other related duties as required.
High School diploma plus one year’s experience in commercial cooking preferred.
Employee must receive a certificate in Food Protection with six months from date of hire.
The ideal candidate will:
- be detailed oriented.
- be able to work independently and take initiative
- have the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- possess effective oral and written communication skills
- have the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employee, as well as external contacts
- be able to handle confidential and sensitive information
- require manual dexterity for the use of a computer, telephone, fax, or copy machine
- be able to prepare clear, concise reports
- possess knowledge of needs of client populations and treatment sources
- be able to plan, assign, and direct the work of others
- be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- support the mission, values and vision of the organization
- promote positive public relations with residents, family members, and guests
- complete requirements for in-service training, acceptable attendance, uniform and dress codes, including personal hygiene.
- be able to solve complex problems and deal with a variety of issues
- possess the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, employees, residents, families, professional and the general public.
- possess ability to communicate sensitive information to principals and client
- be able to lift items up to 25 pounds
Cook/Counselor I: High School diploma plus one year’s experience in commercial cooking preferred.
Cook/Counselor II: Associate’s degree plus one year’s experience in commercial cooking preferred or High School diploma plus combined two years’ experience in commercial cooking or a mental health setting.
Cook/Counselor III: Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree plus a combined two years’ experience in commercial cooking or a mental health setting or High School diploma plus combined three years’ experience in commercial cooking or a mental health setting.
TSINY is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
|Job Category||Coaching, Cook|