Peer Counselor – Full- Time
Transitional Services for New York, Inc., (TSINY) not-for profit, is a comprehensive, community-based mental health organization located in New York City. We provide a continuum of rehabilitative services to enrich the lives of those recovering from mental illness and facilitate their transition to increased levels of independence. Transitional Services for New York, Inc. envisions broadening its rehabilitative services and becoming a regional social service provider. Transitional Services for New York Staff will deliver effective programs with compassion, integrity, and professionalism. We expect all staff to put our clients’ needs first while respecting ourselves and each other as we provide hope to those who participate in our programs.
TSINY is looking for Peer Counselor for various of our mental health residential programs located in Queens, NY.
Full-Time Peer Counselor: $26 Per Hour
Assist individuals in the program to develop personalized plans for recovery. Work as part of the team to ensure that program goals are met, that the environment remains safe and supportive, and provide input into the development of program policy and procedures.
- Peer counseling.
- Identify supportive community resources to assist the individuals in the program.
- Provide recovery readiness services in groups and individual counseling.
- Assist individuals in the program to develop service/housing plan goals that are consistent with their life goals.
- Provide referrals to community-based services as needed.
- Provide mentorship support to individuals living in the program.
- Outreach and engage individuals in program services.
- Be able to sit or stand as needed, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May require walking, primarily on a level surface, for short periods throughout the day, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Be able to reach above shoulder heights, below the waist or lift as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- During a declared disaster, assume and adhere to assigned Job Action role(s) consistent with Disaster Preparedness Plan.
- Perform other related duties as required.
High School diploma or a combination of education and relevant experience to total four years.