Transitional Services for New York, Inc., not-for profit, is a comprehensive, community-based mental health organization located in New York City. We provide a continuum of rehabilitative services to enrich the lives of those recovering from mental illness and facilitate their transition to increased levels of independence. Transitional Services for New York, Inc. envisions broadening its rehabilitative services and becoming a regional social service provider. Transitional Services for New York Staff will deliver effective programs with compassion, integrity, and professionalism. We expect all staff to put our clients’ needs first while respecting ourselves and each other as we provide hope to those who participate in our programs.
TSINY, a non-profit mental health services agency seeks part-time Night Counselors for one of its Residential Programs, located in Queens, NY.
Salary: $22 hourly
NYS Drivers License with a clean record required
High School Diploma or Equivalent required
Provide oversight of the program on the overnight shift. Responsible for completing room checks and determining that all residents are accounted for. Conduct chart audits and maintain resident back charts. Provide crisis management in the overnight hours and are responsible for getting the residents up in the morning and ready for daytime activities.
- Converse with shift going off duty for any pertinent information, i.e., appointments, overall residents’ behaviors, changes in medication, etc.
- Inform residents of medical/psychiatric or financial appointments.
- Supervise morning medication. Initial medication book immediately after each individual medication is given to a resident.
- Follow procedure in accordance to change of shift checklist and sign.
- Complete a room check to determine the number of residents in the facility and status of each resident.
- Ensure that residents’ beds are made before exiting facility.
- If taking a call-in, record staff absence and/or lateness in Call-in Book.
- Check staff revised schedules.
- Check E-mail.
- Check personal mailbox.
- Intervene in resident crisis management.
- Assist residents with meal preparation when needed.
- Report any pertinent information regarding residents and facility to shift supervisor throughout your shift.
- Document in Communication Book any pertinent information regarding residents.
- Follow procedure in accordance to change of shift check list with on-coming shift and sign change of shift checklist where needed.
- Monitor residents’ bathing, showering and hygiene as needed. File all chart items into the appropriate charts.
- Facilitate back charting
- Medication reviews – check Medication Book for initials.
- Meet with supervisor as scheduled.
- Participate and supervise residents during fire drills.
- Thoroughly inspect assigned residents’ rooms for safety measures and report any damages or problems to shift supervisor.
- Conduct monthly chart review, reviewing charts as assigned by supervisor.
- CPR/First Aid training
- Make copies of new forms that come in and dispose of old ones so all forms are most recent.
- Call in refills of medication(s).
- Prepare information for shredding.
- Conduct chart audits.
- Do regular building tours (check for cleanliness and needed repairs). Check on all residents.
- Complete work orders.
- Incident reports completed on same day of incident and report given to shift supervisor or administrators.
- Submit receipts for petty cash spent.
- Inform residents of appointments.
- Attend special on-site and off-site training, seminars, conferences, etc.
- Availability to residents on an as needed and crisis basis.
- Submit request for time off, at least two weeks in advance.
- Check revised schedules for possible changes in hours/shifts and for holiday coverage.
- Return correspondence that states, “Sign and return.”
- Familiarization with personnel policy, emergency manuals, and training manual.
- Provide supervision for residents during dining hours.
- Make sure residents are dressed appropriately before leaving the facility.
- Be able to sit or stand as needed, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May require walking, primarily on a level surface, for short periods throughout the day, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Be able to reach above shoulder heights, below the waist or lift as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Driver’s license required.
- During a declared disaster, assume and adhere to assigned Job Action role(s) consistent with Disaster Preparedness Plan.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Night Counselor l: High School diploma.
Night Counselor Il: Associate’s degree, High School diploma with one year’s experience in a mental health field.
Night Counselor Ill: Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree plus one year’s experience or High School diploma plus 2 years’ experience