Transitional Services for New York, Inc., not-for profit, is a comprehensive, community-based mental health organization located in New York City. We provide a continuum of rehabilitative services to enrich the lives of those recovering from mental illness and facilitate their transition to increased levels of independence. Transitional Services for New York, Inc. envisions broadening its rehabilitative services and becoming a regional social service provider. Transitional Services for New York Staff will deliver effective programs with compassion, integrity, and professionalism. We expect all staff to put our clients’ needs first while respecting ourselves and each other as we provide hope to those who participate in our programs.
TSINY, a non-profit mental health services agency seeks full-time Educational Advisor for one of its Residential Programs, located in Queens, NY.
Position: Part- time
Salary: $18.68 hourly
NYS Driver License with a clean record
High School Diploma required
Provide consultation to community-based educators on supportive classroom strategies to accomplish educational goals. Assist students in identifying and accomplishing educational goals. Orient students to system resources and assist students with advocacy activities. Assist students in developing educationally-oriented, community-based support systems.
- Assist students in identifying meaningful academic goals.
- Provide support for students enrolled in community-based literacy, adult basic education and GED preparation programs.
- Provide off-site consultation to collaterals related to mental health barriers impacting student performance.
- Supported education engagement /orientation / preparation workshops / college enrollment and support services
- Develop strategies with community-based providers to enable the success of academic efforts and advocate for accommodations when necessary in these settings.
- Provide information on other training program opportunities to students and advocate for accommodations when necessary in these settings.
- Participate in program planning and the operation of program.
- Identify community providers and establish effective liaison relationships to ensure that students receive appropriate community support services.
- Meet with assigned students individually and in groups as per program requirements.
- Provide regular progress notes on individual residents, quarterly progress updates and other Agency documentation as required.
- Provide crisis intervention as required.
- Supervise assigned employees as requested.
- Be able to sit or stand as needed, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May require walking, primarily on a level surface, for short periods throughout the day, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Be able to reach above shoulder heights, below the waist or lift as required to file documents or store materials throughout the workday, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- During a declared disaster, assume and adhere to assigned Job Action role(s) consistent with Disaster Preparedness Plan.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant area, with MA preferred. Counseling experience in academic settings a plus. Driver’s license a plus.