Transitional Services for New York, Inc., (TSINY) not-for profit, is a comprehensive, community-based mental health organization located in New York City. We provide a continuum of rehabilitative services to enrich the lives of those recovering from mental illness and facilitate their transition to increased levels of independence. Transitional Services for New York, Inc. envisions broadening its rehabilitative services and becoming a regional social service provider. Transitional Services for New York Staff will deliver effective programs with compassion, integrity, and professionalism. We expect all staff to put our clients’ needs first while respecting ourselves and each other as we provide hope to those who participate in our programs.
TSINY is seeking an Employment Specialist for its Occupational Rehabilitation Services Program located in Bayside and Jamaica, NY. This position reports to the Program Director of Employment Services.
Employment Specialist : $23 Per Hour, Full-Time
The Employment Specialist provides employment-related services to individuals with psychiatric disabilities to help them identify, clarify and achieve their work goals.
Responsible for the assessment, counseling and coordination of consumers’ employment; monitoring and managing retention of consumers with mental health disabilities and other disorders. Will develop and cultivate business/employment collaborations and complete associated paperwork.
• Provide outreach services to TSINY service recipients.
• Present information on employment services at community meetings.
• Present information on the availability of employment services to TSINY staff.
• Conduct assessments of individuals who express an interest in employment services. • Assist individuals in developing employment goals.
• Develop and implement intervention techniques for successful employment outcomes.
• Write progress reports and periodic summaries of progress.
• Maintain all documentation in compliance with program and Agency standards.
• Conduct employment-related workshops.
• Assist individuals with the acquisition of hard and soft skills.
• Address ADL skills specific to employment.
• Assist individuals in locating jobs or placements.
• Provide support and assistance in the job application process.
• Provide job placement and systematic job development.
• Provide job coaching and negotiation with prospective employers and placements.
• Refer individuals to the Entitlement Specialist for Benefit Counseling.
• Assist individuals in developing natural supports in the workplace.
• Coordinate with employers, if indicated.
• Help individuals to build and sustain skills in the workplace.
• Assist individuals to establish positive workplace relationships, including interactions with supervisors and co-workers.
• Collaborate and coordinate services on at least a monthly basis with assigned case managers.
• Assist individuals to identify reasonable accommodations necessary to manage symptoms that may emerge at work or at volunteer placement.
• Driver’s license preferred.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s Degree with one (1) year’s experience in a mental health setting or an Associate’s Degree with two (2) years’ experience in a mental health setting.